When using multiple WAN (Wide Area Network) uplinks, one of the interesting things that will be shown by the Meraki dashboard is which path to use for a particular data flow and why. For example, when one line is selected over another because VoIP (voice over IP) traffic is being sent and the selected link has lower latency. While, Meraki combines all aspects of SD-WAN configuration, monitoring, and management into one cloud-based controller, Viptela uses a different architecture by dedicating certain functions to individual equipment. This allows for larger and wider scale use.
How does Cisco Meraki Work?
Cisco Meraki products have exclusivity, which is only handled in a cloud-managed manner. All features are integrated into one dashboard, with devices connected to the Cisco Meraki Cloud via Secure Socket Layer or SSL.
What does Cisco Meraki Offer?
Cisco Meraki offers a complete range of IT solutions including firewalls, switches, wireless, and CCTV. Where everything is connected using cloud technology.
All these devices and systems are managed through Meraki’s cloud-based dashboard interface. For businesses looking to achieve the best security and maximize efficiency, Cisco Meraki is an essential solution for Wi-Fi-based networks and the devices connected to them.
Cisco Meraki Advantages
- Cisco Meraki offers a centralized dashboard, which is the best solution in multi-site management and interacts with both wired and wireless network hardware.
- Cisco Meraki features a Next-Generation Firewall (NGFW) that can act as an Intrusion Detection System / Intrusion Prevention System (IDS/IPS), by providing content filtering and geo-IP restrictions, allowing you to restrict connectivity to various parts of the world, across the Global Internet services
- With Zero Touch Provisioning (ZTP), the device is powered on via a blank configuration and uses the Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) to obtain an IP address so that it can connect to the Internet. After Internet connectivity is established, the SD-WAN device will contact the SD-WAN controller and download the predefined configuration for that particular device, in this case, Cisco Meraki using the serial number of the device. ZTP allows devices to be shipped without the need for pre-configuration, saving time and other resources
- Meraki Dashboard will show different traffic statistics including link performance and utilization by an app. Meraki also supports interaction with the REST API (Representational State Transfer; Application Protocol Interface), as well as traditional data collection access methods such as Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP), Syslog, and NetFlow.
- Network administrators can also make adjustments to bandwidth, which makes it easier to control network traffic when overloaded. Also, it can enforce rules and policies that prohibit the use of an application or website for a certain period of time or without a time limit, so that performance can be better monitored to increase productivity at work.
- Cisco Meraki responds admirably to the need for additional devices. The ease of scalability of Cisco Meraki, allows the network to grow along with the development of the business or organization.
- Optimal security is one of Cisco Meraki’s key features, with integrated Layer 7 visibility technology at no additional cost.
Cisco Meraki Specific Features
- Network administrators can view the Wi-Fi network as a whole, and are able to browse the details of website and application restrictions when needed.
- Layer 7 visibility technology, enabling all traffic passing through the interface to be encrypted.
- Guaranteed business compliance with General Data Protection and Regulation (GDPR) and ISO 20071.
- There are several redundant security centers around the world, able to guarantee constant network access.
- Two-factor authentication can be activated as an additional layer of security at no additional cost, for example by using access permissions from the administrator’s mobile phone, in addition to standard logins.
- Cisco Meraki’s AirMarshal provides continuous security by scanning wireless networks for threats and eliminating them before they can cause problems.
- Cisco Meraki products have an automatic update feature. Patches and firmware updates plus new features are released every three months at no additional cost, and updates can be triggered manually. Cisco Meraki ensures there are no loopholes, and the latest software and updates are always installed to keep businesses safe and secure.
- Cloud management makes it possible to access from any location, not just the office. Any device connected to the internet can interact with the Cloud Dashboard.
Meraki is designed to create simplicity and ease of use above all else which makes implementing Meraki SD-WAN solutions perfect, if your business does not have very specific requirements or if your support staff lacks technical knowledge. Viptela has more advanced features available that require a higher level of technical knowledge to achieve the right network architecture, although if you have specific network needs such as IPv6 or multicast support, Viptela’s solutions can adapt by having more configuration options.